Dead To The Core

A Little Bit Further Than You've Gone Before

For as long as I can remember I have been a Dead Head. Growing up, the hallways of my home you could always hear the voices of Jerry Garcia or Bobby Weir.
I attended my first show in 2005, it was a Bob Weir and Ratdog show and I think I was either in 8th or 9th grade. That is when my tour began. I traveled to any and every show I could; with friends, alone, with my parents- it didn't matter I had to go.
The music just took over. There is a saying in the Dead community -"If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand." You either love them or you don't, but if you have ever been to any type of Grateful Dead show you will surly understand. The enthusiasm, energy, and love that surrounds you is incredible.

In December 2012 I packed my bags and headed to San Francisco, alone. I couldn't miss the opportunity to see Further in San Fran for a three day New Years Eve show. I hopped on a red eye and off I went. I met up with a few awesome people I had met from previous shows and they let me tag along with them for lunches and some other adventures awaiting show time.
It was one of the most incredible experiences of my life; everything about it. The freedom I had at 21 years old, seeing a new city for the first time, and attending a show of a life time.
This was my ultimate dream at this time; I had no responsibilities. Sure I worked a few jobs, went to school, but nothing tying me down and holding me back from this adventure. 
Up until that point I had attended numerous shows, but THIS was what I had been waiting for. 
They played every song in the books, everything you could want to hear at a Dead Show; Johnny K and Bobby killed it. 

There was one song on my journey I hadn't heard on my adventures and I had been waiting very impatiently for it! Finally, the third night I hear it shapely start: Throwing Stones! I WAS ECSTATIC!!!!! 

We all moved around the Bill Graham Theatre a million times as this was all general admission. I'll never forget where I was when I heard it play. 

Ball Drop:
They make the ball drop such a huge event during the show it was one of a kind. This huge plastered creature flew from the ceiling and thousands of balloons drop from the ceiling as the sounds of Sugar Magnolia play. It's was something I will never forget. 
As of today, I have attended over 25 shows and just attended my first Dead and Company show just last month.


The Grateful Dead have been a huge part of my life and will always be. If you're in it, you're in it for life and it is something some others might not understand. 





   But as we all know -
The music will never stop ðŸ’“



The point of the matter is: GO FOR IT. If it is hundreds of miles away, or the end result seems impossible but you feel the need burning inside of you... DO IT,  you will regret it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stay Sexy, Don't Get Murdered: The Podcast That Created a Community

Day 5

Day 25